Friday 27 October 2017

Michael Norton - an Extraordinary Boy. Introduction



Introduction

The trouble with losing a child is that it simply isn't in the natural order of things. In fact, it is so far removed from the natural order of things that everything else in one's life suddenly goes through a seismic shift as well. All the patterns and conventions of everyday life become meaningless and irrelevant as grief picks you up and shakes you by the neck as efficiently as any earthquake. However the death occurs, whether suddenly or at the end of a long illness, that first shock ripples through your being and rattles all the nerve endings. Then, just as you think the dust is settling, just a little bit, the aftershocks begin. And they do even more damage, shattering your defences and your confidence and eating away at your ability to see beyond anything but the fact that the bedroom is empty, the possessions undisturbed - and the silence is permanent.

For a mother, the mental anguish of losing her baby (at whatever age) is exacerbated both by the physical pain of his absence and by the guilt of not being able to prevent it. To an onlooker, this sense of guilt is often totally inexplicable, and many friends will try to ease a mother's burden by pointing out the fact that everything she could have done, was done. But that is to negate the very basis of human life: that a mother's job is to nurture her child as he grows and protect him from all misadventure. Any woman losing a child is going to feel some sense of failure at the most basic of levels and to try to dismiss that to fail to acknowledge a very real distress.

I know. For my child is dead. As I write this, Michael has been apart from me for 26 days. He died, aged 14 years, 9 1/2 months, of a brain tumour, which he had been fighting for nearly a year, always aware that it was a battle which he was unlikely to win. His family and friends have watched with pride, admiration and, in the end, deep distress as he moved through the year, adjusting to his changing circumstances but never once retreating from anything he wanted to do. Over the last weeks of his life, and since his death, I have been trying to make some sense of it all. I don't suppose I ever will, in truth, but I know that in order to try, I need to tell Michael's story. Over the last year of his life, we maintained a website so that his friends, and THEIR friends, could see how he was coping and understand what he was having to experience in dealing with cancer. Michael kept his own diary for part of that time, and I, too, kept some private notes and a scrapbook in the hope that it would help me if I ever had to face losing him.

Now I am facing that loss. Just as Michael's father is, and just as his 11 year old brother is, too. We all have to come to terms with it in the best way that we can. For me, that way is to write this book. Although the experiences I am writing about are essentially family experiences, I am writing from my own point of view, as Michael's mother. In a way, this is the last thing I can ever do for him and I owe it to him to tell him how I have felt it; after all, his story is in so many ways my story too. Although he and I were so often at odds over the years (which mother and elder child are not?!) the one great blessing which has come out of his last illness is the fact that he and I were able to spend so much time together. During that time we became very close, very forgiving each of the other and very prepared to be honest and open in a way which few parents of adolescent children are lucky enough to experience. If I have one abiding personal memory of the end of Michael's life, it will be of the night, 36 hours before he died, when I had half-helped, half-carried him back from the bathroom and propped him beside his bed in the hospital while I tried to explain to him how to sit down on it. As I steadied myself against the bed so that I could try to lower him gently down, knowing that Michael was blind, unable to stand unaided, as far as I knew no longer able to know who I was or to talk, suddenly a pair of arms shot round my neck and hugged me for all I was worth. There were no words, nor were they necessary. I hugged him back and for those 20 or 30 seconds, he and I were at total peace.

Michael, this book is for you. I hope you feel that I have done you justice.

With love.

No comments:

Post a Comment